WordPress is a dream CMS to work with, thanks to the availability of various WordPress themes and plugins. The WordPress content management system is easy to use, update, manage and maintain when compared to other CMS like Joomla or Drupal. Moreover, its security framework ensures that your site is safe from all cyber threats.
However, while WordPress website optimization can be done in many ways, one of the effective and efficient ways via which you can optimize your website is by installing a WordPress caching plugin. A WordPress caching plugin helps boost your page loading time, thereby ensuring exceptional user experience.
Yeah, it’s true that the best WordPress hosting providers come with an inbuilt caching, a super-cacher feature and that’s great. But, it is highly recommended to install a WordPress caching plugin and take care of site’s caching yourself.
#Why Use a Caching Plugin?
Technically, installing a caching plugin creates a static version of the web content. Static pages render easily on the browser, quickening page speed and tremendously reducing server lag giving uninterrupted browsing experience to the user.
Likewise, since Google has consistently indicated how website speed and consequently page speed is a strong signal used by its algorithm to rank pages, by installing a caching plugin you are ensuring that your site enjoys a great page speed on all devices, thus enhancing the user experience, resulting in a higher ranking on SERPs.
# Best WordPress Cache Plugin of 2018
Now that we know how poor website speed can be tackled by installing WordPress cache plugins, let’s look at some of the best WordPress Caching Plugins along with their features and performance.
You can use W3 Total Cache plugin on all your WordPress websites as it offers a number of impressive features. This caching plugin improves the on-page speed of the WordPress website by 20%, which, in turn, cuts down the average loading time to 0.60 seconds. The transparent content delivery network (CDN) management with Media Library, theme files and WordPress itself is an added advantage.
- Major features can be enabled or disabled with the help of General Box at the top of the page.
- Each feature of W3 Total Cache can be configured independently.
- Mobile support with Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) support.
- Caching statistics for performance insights.
- Caching of search results pages.
When it comes to the best free WordPress plugins for 2018, one can’t forget another very popular WordPress cache plugin which is the WP Fastest Cache. This plugin creates static HTML files from dynamically generated WordPress website. This cache system helps not to render pages time-and-again reducing the use of PHP and MySQL, which, in turn, reduces the use of RAM and CPU. This reduction in resources means the faster rendering of pages for the user.
- You can decrease the size of page and CSS files.
- You can generate static HTML files from your dynamic WordPress blog.
- Automatic modification of installation without any modification to .htacces file.
- Admin can delete all cached files from the options page.
- Enable/Disable cache option for mobile devices and logged-in users.
WP Super Cache plugin is one of the best and a free caching plugin for WordPress websites. The plugin has been rated with 4.2 stars out of 5. It is quite efficient in not letting your server slow down to a crawl or overload during the large influx of traffic on your website. The amazing fact is that while there’s a cut in loading time of 0.85 seconds, the speed is improved by 28.07 percent. In fact, after passing many speed tests, WP Super Cache has come victorious to become one of the most installed plugins for caching on WordPress.
- It is easy to install and setup.
- WP Super Cache works nicely with Content Delivery Network (CND).
- The plugin has simplified the user interface and is highly useful.
- The plugin is available for free with limited support.
- Uses compression on the web server to send compressed files to increase response time and improve the overall page speed.
4. WP Rocket
One of the most popular WordPress caching plugins, WP Rocket has been installed by 100,000 sites. WP Rocket has been tested to improve the website speed by 34.12% cutting down the loading time by 0.98 seconds. This makes it one of the fastest and shining WordPress caching tools.
- Minimal configuration with instant results.
- Page Caching, Cache Pre-loading, and Sitemap Pre-loading.
- Database Optimization with Google Fonts Optimization.
- CloudFlare Compatibility and DNS Prefetching.
- Mobile Detection, Multilingual Compatibility, and Multisite Compatibility.
5. Comet Cache
Comet Cache is the successor to ZenCache and Quick Cache before that. Rated with 4 stars out of 5, Comet Cache plugin is easy to configure and assures “Speed without Compromise.” It works by taking snapshots of your pages thereby delivering a quicker reading experience to your visitors. Besides, it is intelligent enough not to serve cached pages to logged in users who have left comments on the page recently.
- Takes a real-time snapshot of every post, page, category, and link and caches them intuitively.
- Simple and well-documented configuration.
- The ability to cache or ignore URLs that contain query strings.
- User agent and HTTP referrer exclusion patterns.
- Set automatic expiration times for cache files.
6. Hyper Cache
With the simple configuration interface, Hyper Cache is a PHP caching plugin. It efficiently caches the sites with active users commenting and participating in discussions. When other caching plugins trip-up in such times, Hyper Cache stands strong and is exactly meant for this purpose. Rated with 4.5 stars out of 5, this cache plugin reduces the loading time by 0.45 seconds thereby improving the speed by 13.75 percent as checked during GTmetrix testing.
- Supports mobile with double cache for desktop and mobile site versions.
- HTTPS ready and able to change the theme on mobile device detection.
- Able to serve cached pages even to visitors who commented the blog.
- Controls over cache cleaning on blog events.
- Autoclean to controls the cache used disk space and has CDN support.
- Efficient and fast disk cache engine.
- Automated and/or manual clearing of the cache.
- Manually purge the cache of specific pages.
- Display of the actual cache size in your dashboard.
- WordPress multisite and Custom Post Type support.
All in all, if you’re looking for high-performance caching plugins for WordPress website, these 7 will serve your purpose adequately. Each of these plugins is unique in their own way and comes with advanced features. You just need to do the difficult task of choosing the best among the best.
We’d also love to hear your take on these. Which caching plugin do you prefer for your WordPress website? What features are you searching for in a caching plugin? Do let us know!
About the Author
Nirav Dave is the CTO & Co-Founder at Capsicum Mediaworks, a digital agency based out of Mumbai, India that specializes in all things Web Design & WordPress. He Worships WordPress and Loves to read anything and everything about this exceptional CMS.